Cheshire Connecticut (CT)
Cheshire Connecticut (CT) is located in the central part of Connecticut and contains a balance of residential housing (growing), light industry (growing), farming (shrinking) and large areas of open woodland (also shrinking).Cheshire was formed as settlers from nearby Wallingford moved west in the late 1600's to the other side of the Quinnipiac River. The area was first called "Fresh Meadows". By 1694 first references to as a 'settlement' can be found. In 1705 a settler named Thomas Brooks moved to the area and named it Cheshire apparently with reference to his English homeland - Cheshire County. In 1719 the small community had grown large enough to start its own school. Five years later The first Congregational church was erected in the settlement. In 1760 the Episcopalian church was built. By 1780 the population had reached the 2000 mark and the Connecticut State Legislature officially recognized Cheshire as a town. During the 1800's Cheshire was a stopping point for the Hartford to New Haven Stagecoach. The Farmington Canal which connected the Connecticut River to Long Island Sound at New Haven also ran through the town.
One of the few remaining locks of the original canal has been restored in Cheshire and is now Lock 12 Park. Canal use was eventually replaced by the railroad that ran parallel to it. Now the remains of the old track line (long since abandoned) have been made into a 5+ mile Linear Park. Walkers, runners, skateboarders and other non-motorized modes are supported on this pathway. The old rail line extends south into Hamden which has already converted part of it into an extension of the linear Park. North sections of the roadbed will someday extend it into Southington.
Copper & barytes were mined in Cheshire during the 1800's. Today there are virtually no signs of any of the old mining activities as all the old mines have been filled in.
The north end of the town supports a wide variety of businesses and industries. Most of Cheshire is residential and much of the population commutes to the nearby cities of Waterbury, Meriden, New Haven or Hartford.
Jerry & Edie moved to the northern end of Cheshire in 1970 after general contracting their first house themselves. Jerry worked on the electrical and HVAC while Edie was the #1 painter. Eighteen years and 4 children later we moved to the southern part of Cheshire near the borders of Prospect, Hamden and Bethany.
Visit Cheshire's official Web Site